Accelerated Reading "A.R."
by Ms. Huddlestun
FOR THE LOVE OF READING!
Students will conference with the teacher to set individual goals.
The party goal will be 85% or higher on percentage correct of all quizzes taken during the quarter with the minimum number of tests being satisfied as set with teacher.
Students are permitted to take one test per day, either during computer lab time or study hall.
Number of Quizzes Exception
Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis for students reading well above the classroom 4.0 level. For example, a book worth 9 points could be worth 3 quizzes (3 books)!
Classroom teachers will monitor student progress and apply appropriate intervention when a student's choices are not consistent with ability. The librarian is responsible for helping students locate appropriate material and not progress monitoring. A.R. diagnostic reports will be sent home with progress reports and report cards quarterly.
1. Students are informed of their ZPD reading level when checking out library books. This is the suggested range of reading material. If a child wishes to go lower, he or she may. However, if students wish to read a higher lever book, they should apply the "5 finger rule":
The "5 finger rule" is simple. The student should read the first page of text in the book he or she is interested in checking out. If there are 5 or more words on the page he or she can not read or decipher, it is too difficult and should choose a different book.
2. Tests on books checked out in the library take precedence first before testing on a classroom library book.
3. Students are permitted to take only one test per day.
4. In addition to time given during the school day, students are encouraged to read a minimum of 15 minutes per night.
100 Point Club
Students who read and accumulate 100 points (or more) throughout the entire school year shall receive special recognition and rewarded with a field trip to a local restaurant for lunch. Students earning this reward shall meet the following criteria:
1. Earn at least 85% of all tests taken during each of the four quarters
2. Read and test on books within their ZPD range.
3. All other AR rules stated above shall also apply (one test per day, etc).